Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Dark Knight's Secret Story

I've come to realize finding spiritual revelation in stories that are not based on theology is one of my top joys.  There is something beautiful and poetic about our Creator peeling back the pages of a story to reveal the deep truth embedded in the ink.  This applies to any form of story telling, whether it is book, movie, music, fine arts, etc.  Isn't it like God to show up in the stories that shake up our world.
 
How many great movies have you seen lately where the end goal is to rise out of darkness and fight the evils of this world. 

When I saw The Dark Knight Rises, I matter of factly told my husband that I was pretty sure Christopher Nolan loves Jesus.  I mean, batman is a savior figure that saves this chaotic city by sacrificing himself...oh, and somehow lives.  I want to believe that the "sustainable life" that was meant to be used for good for the world is a parallel to the immortality in the garden of Eden. And evil changed this gift into that of a weapon.  Whether a slow death that is introduced to Adam and Eve and the rest of mankind, or a quick death like the bomb in gotham city.  Both were once good and warped by the enemy.  I want to believe this was Nolan's thought process.

But, in all reality... probably not.  Its just a simple story of a man with lots of resources and combat training who saves his city.  Or is it?

So, what, in the human nature compels us to goodness then?  If we are only here by accident, or by an explosion in the sky that started the creation process, or any other means, how would we know to search for the light?  If Darwin was correct in his survival of the fittest, why do we try to maintain friendships and open doors for others?  Why do we get sick when we see children being gunned down?  Shouldn't we only be striving for surviving and ruling our own little worlds?  Why do others matter?

Its hard to see God.  Our world is polluted with crime and trash and cities and noise.  But its when I hear stories of love and sacrifice that reminds me that God has never left us.  He is behind the story of a superhero who is good, because he has put that desire in us.  We get goosebumps when the hero sacrifices himself (or herself) for a noble cause, because deep down our spirit knows it has already happened.  He has already came and saved humanity by an ultimate sacrifice.

Also, like Batman, we unfortunately can be given the wrong message about Jesus.  We can turn against Him and blame Him for all the wrongs that have happened.  We turn against the very Creator who made this world for good and as a blessing to us.  And we repay him by allowing evil to slip into our cities, our homes, our lives and throw him into the dark pit of our hearts. 

I think of all the characters in The Dark Knight Rises, I found myself relating most to Officer Blake, (Joseph Gordon Levitt's character).  In the midst of the cities' unbelief and anger towards batman, he never stopped searching for the truth.  That's the hope I want to have no matter how angry or cynical our world becomes.

I know this post may seem silly and get a few eye rolls, but I hope something resonates deep down within you.  Story is powerful and is told for a reason- in any form.  And even when these stories aren't written for a Sunday morning service or backed by a church, I hope we can still see God's hand in them.

Now its your turn, are there any stories recently that have spoken to you?


1 comment:

Jabulani said...

Much more eloquently put than when we came out of the theater and you said, "Batman I'd Jesus." :) I like the hope you always see in everything though it may be dark. You are like a moth drawn towards the light, though it may be small. And that's one of the reasons I love you. Thanks for helping me see hope in life.