Wednesday, September 28, 2011

No Poo Day 1

Yes, I have jumped on the small bandwagon with "No Poo". For those of you who haven't heard about it, it is where you stop using shampoo. Yes, you heard me. You may say, "Thats gross, doesn't your hair stink or get greasy?" Stink, I don't think so.. Greasy, yes in between week 2- 2 months it could be a battle. However, the up-side is that I am not filling my head with unnatural chemicals, saving money on product, and restoring my hair back to its original form. Check this site out for more details about health benefits. And, I'm starting to get on the kick of being more organic. I have also looked into homemade face scrubs/cleansers and soaps. A lot of them are made from things in your kitchen. Since I love to bake/cook from scratch because I like to know whats in my food, I am excited to be trying these home remedies for my hair and skin as well. You can get some recipes on the same site . I am so excited! I plan to keep you all updated via the blog on how my hair is holding up. Last night I applied the baking soda/water mixture.. (my new shampoo). I think I definitely put too much Baking Soda in my hair, because I was a little itchy on my back and neck and my scalp became a little dry. I may do the mixture every other day, because my hair is naturally dry anyways. I added a little rosemary oil to the tips as well.. Such a strong but clean smell.. I am feeling good this morning.. not because I think anything is working yet, but because I feel healthier just making healthier decisions!
Day1..Don't mind the up-do.. I am going to try not to use my straight-iron or a blow dryer as much as possible.. We'll see how long I can hold out..

4 comments:

Jiletta Patton! said...

I didn't know you were doing this! My hair hasn't touched Shampoo is April 16th! Best decision ever! Love you so much! AND THANK YOU, EMILY! You were awesome as always yesterday and I can't wait to see what you took! xoxoxoxoxox10.

Emily Barnett said...

NO WAY! Do you have any advice for me? Are you just using water now, or do you use other things every once in awhile? Your hair looked BEAUTIFUL at the wedding, so I am very much encouraged by that..especially as I enter the greasy stage... :)

Jiletta Patton said...

Learn the PH balance of your hair. Apple Cider Vinegar is by far the BEST for me. Curly hair is constructed and reacts different to certain things though. I also go to an all natural salon here in St. Louis. Look for Aveda products(or salon)if you are ever in need of "getting your hair done". I also use lavender oil mixed with water (after it boils) to touch up the roots if they get greasy! I wash my hair with water and when needed I actually go back to sauve all-natural line. Yes, it has chemicals in it but not dangerous ones that have hurt my curly hair. Onec you get to the water stage, the key is just friction to clean your hair. Massage the scalp under the water and ta-da clean hair :) I started all this when someone gave me the book "Curly Girl Method". Since then I just have been doing the research on my own. It is SO worth it! Ps.. I only went through the greasy stage for 2 weeks so you're half way there!! Let me know what else has been working for you! (ps I hear tree oil? is a good one too!)

Jiletta Patton said...

*Sauve Natural conditioner NOT the shampoo! The Shampoo still has a lot of sulfates in it, and be careful using a lot of this even the conditioner has a few other things questionable in it. Miessence natural conditioner might be better with your hair. Looks like you may be going to totally natural way, in the case..once you get to water the grease will not be an issue and you will no longer need to add or use an oil weekly because you will start producing the correct amount on your own. Yay, I love that you're doing this!