Saturday, January 14, 2012

Jonah's Plans

     As I read the story of Jonah this morning I realized how messed up our expectations of God are and how it can screw up our life.  I have heard this story a thousand times.  I personally think its ironic that its such a popular children's story: it may be me, but it is pretty frightening.. but maybe because I hate fish- and the idea of men throwing me overboard to be gobbled up by a huge one gives me the shivers.  But it always looks much cuter in pastel paints.  Thank you children illustrators.   But, no matter how many times I have heard about Jonah and "the whale", I learned something totally new today. 
     When God comes to Jonah and says, "Arise, go to Ninevah, that great city, and call out against it, for their evil has come up before me." I always assumed before, that Jonah fled because of fear.  I thought, man, he is scared- to go before a large group of people and tell them they are sinning?  What pressure.. no thank you.  How terrifying?  And who knows, that could have made him apprehensive as well, it doesn't say either way.  However, after God pursues Jonah and finally, after all the raging seas and 3 days and 3 night in a fish's belly, he gives him the same command: Go to Ninevah.
     Well, of course he does now, I think he finally realized that he can't flee from God- because he isn't human.  Something I would have thought was common knowledge, but desperation leads to interesting choices sometimes.  So, Jonah does it.. and.. the people...listen...  Actually listen.   Their king says, alright people put on sackcloth, fast and call out to the Lord.  Stop all your evil ways and ask God to relent and turn from his fierce anger!
    That is a pretty humble thing for the king to do, there are many instances in the bible where kings believe themselves as gods and will not listen to any prophet.  But the people of Ninevah listen and repent... And God hears them- and does not send calamity upon them.  Because our God is merciful.
    So, all this I knew, but what caught me by surprise- was Jonah's words to God.  His anger.
"But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry.  And he prayed to the Lord and said, "O Lord, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country?  That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster" (Jonah 4:1-2)

    I had read this prayer many times- knowing he was being selfish... but it never registered that this is why he fled in the beginning.  He knew God's merciful ways, and Jonah thought his own plans on how to deal with something was greater than God's.  He may have had some fear, but he didn't run because he was afraid to face Ninevah and condemn them.  He actually wanted to- but he also thought they deserved that destruction and had not a forgiving heart.  And so he ran, hoping God wouldn't use him, because he couldn't bare to see God's ways- when his own cold heart was set.
     Maybe this struck me so much because I have been struggling with God's plan for me lately.  Though I don't wish to reap destruction upon anyone- I still see how I want things to go in my head, and when God's timing or actions aren't the way I see them, I get selfish.  I get angry.  I wish I could say this is only something I do, and you who are reading this is safe.
      But look within yourself.  Whether its finances, car troubles, broken relationships, death, suffering, poverty, depression... who's plan are you on?  Are you like Jonah and get frustrated with how God is dealing with things?  Some of you flee from Him, because you are tired of waiting on his timing.  Some of you flee because the outcome of a situation is different than you wanted.  We all have a part of Jonah in us.
      But man, on the bright side... God's saving powers, His grace to sinners, his mercy and love to those who choose to give up their harmful ways...  That is a God I am willing to follow.  A God I wait for, even in the hardest of times when I don't think God is doing enough, or doing too much.  When are we ever satisfied?  When are we content with the Creator and how He cares for His creation?  Who are we to dictate what is wrong or right in His eyes?
     I'm sure a lot of you have already read this story and maybe gleamed most of the knowledge already.  If so, let this be a reminder. 
   Today won't go how you planned.  Next year is an untold story only known to its writer.  And as time unfolds we have choices to make during these unexpected experiences.
Follow Christ.  Or don't.
I think that's as simple as it gets.

1 comment:

Jabulani said...

Great post Em! Thanks for sharing your heart and the reminder that God's ways are better than our own.