Monday, November 5, 2012

Truth-filled Fiction

“A genuine work of art must mean many things; the truer its art, the more things it will mean. If my drawing, on the other hand, is so far from being a work of art that it needs THIS IS A HORSE written under it, what can it matter that neither you nor your child should know what it means? It is there not so much to convey a meaning as to wake a meaning. If it does not even wake an interest, throw it aside. A meaning may be there, but it is not for you. If, again, you do not know a horse when you see it, the name written under it will not serve you much. At all events, the business of the painter is not to teach zoology.” --George MacDonald
I am so excited that I have found this other realm of christian writers! I do enjoy a good theology book, don't get me wrong...  But there is something about fairy tales/folk tales that inspire me both mentally and spiritually.  Mentally, because I can think for myself and uncover what the author is trying to speak through his or her story. (I love the quote above!)  Spiritually, because it awakens another side of my brain/heart that obvious facts only dully poke at.  I am so wrapped up and enticed by the story, that once a lesson is to be had, I am all in.  Instead of being told what to believe, I can be participating in a story that inspires me to actively believe.  It excites me to find more writers that have been given that call to encourage others in this fictional, yet truth-filled, way. I have recently finished two books that are worthy of recognition!
That's right.. there are 4 more in this series! (think, Narnia)
A whimsical reminder that pain is a part of life that we must all feel at times, to grow in our walks with Jesus. This came with great timing.  (fun fact: this is the copy I have- and Maurice Sendak illustrated this edition, who also did "Where the Wild Things Are")

I can't wait to dive in even more with these authors and any others of the same genre! Any on your radar? Let me know what I should check out.. (I am already looking into Redwall as a possibility after Mistmantle).

Get inspired!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I have approximately 40 bazillion Redwall books you are welcome to borrow if you'd like. Okay, maybe not that many. I think I gave some to my little brother, but I still have 6 or so, mostly the earliest ones. Let me know if you want them.